Friday, March 2, 2007

"Vintage Dolls"

So many exciting things happened today and yesterday. I can probably post 5 consecutive entries. Let's start with this one.

Today I subbed for my 5th grade class from last semester. I spend the entire semester with these kids and even taught them myself, solo, for 10 days as part of my training experience, so as you can imagine, seeing them again after 3 months was very much a highlight of my week. Aside from getting reconnected with my students, I also discovered a new treasure for my idea box, "Vintage Dolls". Doesn't the name itself already sound so appealing?

Anyway, as a part of their 5th grade Open Court language arts reading, my old kids just finished a unit on Heritage. During this unit, one of their projects was to create a "Vintage Doll" that represents their heritage and ancestors. The common basic material for these dolls were simple human shaped papers. Each student thoughtfully and creatively brought these plain paper dolls to life with color, recycled fabric, and other knick knacks they found from home. In order to truly represent the ancestry of their heritage, many students had sought out information about their heritage from their parents that they had never realized before.

Aside from the social science and language arts perspectives, this was also a brilliant activity for showcasing some of these students' hidden artistic talents. I was truly amazed at the quality, creativity and meaningfulness of these remarkable "Vintage Dolls".


2 comments:

PinkHippo said...

Hi Niki,

Found your blog via random blog. The dolls looks so innocent! It brings me back to childhood.

:)

Anonymous said...

is a good picture I LOVE IT . It would be a better picture if you could take it closer.I love THIS PICTURE WITH A GOOD MODEL. THIS PICTURE I RECOMMENT TO MY CLASS AND TO MY TEACHERS BECAUSE IS BEUTIFUL.I WOULD LOVED IF THER IS MORE CHARTER.I LIKE THE BOY IN THE RITH.